Are you looking for a foul proof recipe for your next gathering that’ll be a flipping crowd pleaser? I don’t usually participate in skipping pages of a story to get to the good part but I can’t help it, today’s recipe IS your foul proof recipe for your next gathering.
A few weeks ago my MIL surprised me with a recipe book from Balboa Island’s art festival and it was filled with family recipes…so of course I flipped thorough it IMMEDIATELY. (I love recipe books, it’s my guilty pleasure, anyone else?)
This week’s recipe is called Grandmother Ruth’s Apple Goodie by Christy Hardison Ward, and it’s a good. Full disclosure: I’m not a huge warm apple fan. I don’t know why…I love hot apple cider. Anyways, my Hubs is happy to eat all of my warm apple recipes.
Scroll for the recipe, my baking hacks for this recipe, my Hubs’ review, and if this bake makes it into the I’ll make this more than once recipe book.
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 T. flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 c. sliced apples
- 1/2 c. oatmeal
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 c. butter, room temp.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Sift flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon together. Combine apple slices and place in the bottom of greased casserole.
- Combine oatmeal, brown sugar, flour, baking soda and baking powder. Mix butter into coarse crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs over apples.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve hot or cold.
- I translated 2 cups of apples into 2 apples, not because I Googled it to double check but because I wasn’t going to go back out and get any more apples. LOL
- When recipes call for x to y minutes I always set it for whatever is the middle between x and y. For example, between 35 – 40 minutes translated to 37 minutes and ended up being the magic number.
- YOU CAN’T MESS THIS UP
Stuff My Wife Makes:
Ps: Hell to the yes I would make these again, it was quick and easy for the most part (if you have the Pampered Chef apple peeler, corer and slicer, I bet it would make it WAY more easy) and my Hubs loved it.